From Chapinero, Bogota…beatmaker Chibchombeats
Chibchombian is how many Colombians call themselves…it’s a cross between Chibcha ( Indigenous linguistic group composed of various tribes) and Colombian
Raw and rootsy yet futuristic
Another Old and New school grooviness by Pernett
I did not know he had been MTV Iggys artist of the week…earlier this year
check it out here http://hpernett.net/2012/02/02/pernett-drops-cumbia-computer-mtv-iggy/
Sweden..a land which has lately brought us great stuff..from the knife to Jose Gonzales and Little Dragon.
fIRST time I’ve heard of Swedish Cumbia though…and it ..be carefull it is FUNKY!!!! I like the nirvana poster in the back.
El Joe died. He wasnt just salsa…he worked with cumbiones, chande, soukus (champeta), soka, cumbia sometimes everything mixed together the rythm is a chandé with salsa piano licks.
The Colombian King, the heavyweight songwriter and brightest star in the Colombian musical galaxy Joe Arroyo is fighting for his life in a hospital in Barranquilla.
This cumbia song is called “A mi Dios todo le debo” I’m an atheist but I can’t help singing “ay Papa” to this cumbia
eres grande mi viejo
Richard Blair played keyboards on some of Peter Gabriel’s best albums,worked for his RealWorld label geting to produce Toto La Momposina and then created the legendary Sidestepper. Deja is from the 2003 album In Beats We Trust
I saw another Brit- DJ Quantic-playing with Frente Cumbiero a couple of months ago..this man can play Cumbia accordeon!
And yet another Brit Cumbialover
Hungry man…thnx 4 the link
Sorry people. I started this English teaching thing so I’ve been away. Coming back hard. New projects with old music are on the way since I’m gonna be playin bass with a Cumbia/Vallenato sabanero cover band. It’s mostly 60’s and 70’s stuff.
A couple of the songs I gotta learn are La Negra by Alberto Murgas
and Festival en Guarare
Pernett and that famous New Order riff on cumbiafied accordeon feel feat. Lido Pimiento , very tasteful
Bomba Estereo having fun (bacilando) with pump up the jam in champeta/cumbia style
Taken from generation bass. French DJ Canalh (whose mixes have been on GenBass many times) was living in Colombia, and before leaving he made a special Mixtape!!
and he also wrote the note:
“Colombian music is as powerful and influential as the American, Jamaican and UK music, isn’t it?
Many have a special interest in salsa, cumbia tropical music of the 70s, the Golden Age of Discos Fuentes label, Sonolux, Victoria, Tambora, etc.. But to restrict it would be a mistake.
Indeed, the dynamism of modern music of Colombians and those in the diaspora is undeniable.
This mix / compilation whose artwork and design were carried out by Colombian, proposes to prove it.
Some troublemakers have come to interfere in the playlist, these are foreigners who have or are working closely with Colombian, in the case of Quantic, Robert Santiago, Charles Tox.
But the quality of the music, the diversity of Colombian artists is impressive, and despite that, I had to leave some on the way! The first third of the mix is slightly political, inevitable, but the 2 / 3 that remain are a party, what seemed like a good translation of that amazing country music, right? That’s it … Colombia … Goodbye”
1. Kaisolo + Ferdys Arrieta (Gaitereos de San Jacinto) – Este País Tiene Arreglo / Bandcamp
2. Antioquia – Guerra (Plan Colombia) / Bandcamp
3. Robert Santiago – La democracia (remix)
4. El Criollo – DesplaSound
5. Frente Cumbiero – Aguanegra / Names you can trust
6. Papaya Republik – Pescao
7. Chocquibtown feat la 33 – Pescao Envenenao / Bandcamp
8. Pielmantra – Te lo Dije / Free
9. Cero 39 – Cumbia anti
10. Cero 39 – Fuego (bomba estereo vs cero39)
11. Pernett – El Baile del Guevatronik Feat. Fangafrika
12. Alerta Kamarada – De donde viene la cumbia
13. Ciudad pasarela – Viejo santo -Territory Dub remix / Bandcamp
14. Caballo Vs Diego Bernal – Bring It Home (Mexicans with Guns RMX) / inédit
15. Quantic Presenta Flowering Inferno – Dub Y Guaguanco
16. Supersonico – Salsa Scratch
17. Rocca – El original (Le retour)
18. Interlude : Puerto Candelaria
19. Systema solar – Mi kolombia
20. Aniceto Molina – Sombrero Volteao (Orion Edit) / Bandcamp
21. Kinky Electric Noise – Campesino Urbano
22. Lido Pimienta – Humano (Noisewhite remix)
23. KinKy CumbiA – NoblezzA (karibe espacial)
24. Profetas – Baila
25. Plastic Caramelo – Plastic Caramelo
26. Isa GT – Pa Las Mamasitas (Chief Boima & Orion Remix)
27. Shurtek Collective – El Cumbiatón Feat Hibikilla, Afra & Kei (Incredible Beatbox)
28. Clase candante – Ven Y Baila / inédit
29. Monareta – Raimundo llevate el mundo
30. DanyF – Jaus (Bleepolar remix)
31. Systema Solar – Quien Es El Patron (Charles Tox Efectivo rmx) / Galletas calientes
32. Cero 39 – Buen dia Barranquilla
33. Santiago Lozano – Una sonrisa antes de regresar al mundo / Bandcamp
Oh man, what a night last friday thanks to the freaky friday organizers…they bring international cumbia peeps mixed with our local futuristic sound.
Nice people those argentinians , so low key and down to earth they are exactly the opposite of what colombians think of argentos (arrogant, stuck up etc..)
Some dubspetty cumbia, mixed with argentinian raggae rappin style, mindboggling bass sounds and a drunken Pernett rappin about weed , later on he got even more drunk and rapped about ganja and after he was wasted he sang about the medicine wonders of …yeah you guessed… marijuana.
Beautiful girls! Black , white ,brown and everything in between …just swirling their hips to the cumbia swing, raising the tension, the place was so packed and hot it was impossible feeling their hips and naked shoulders.
Looking foreward to the next freaky friday baby!!!!